Welcome to our journey. The purpose of my blog is not only to journal our life experience, but also to share what God is doing in our lives. I do not claim to be an expert in parenting, marriage, or even the Bible. But I do have a heart to share my experiences and the true love that God has for each and every one of us. You can read our testimony by clicking on the top of the page. And if you'd like to know about the Homeless Ministry my husband started, you can click on the Homeless tab. I hope you will comment freely on my posts and in my community.



Saturday, March 19, 2011

The journey of being a Christian

A few days ago I posted a question "Does it get any easier being a Christian"? Some key words in the answers people gave: suffering, temptation, trials, attack...growth, faith, hope, trust.

I can only speak from my journey. But all of those words would apply to it. Somewhere along the line I've experienced all of them. Before being a Christian I would have to say that I only experienced some of them. I did not have faith, hope, or trust in the Lord. Not because I didn't believe in God, but because I had no idea about the relationship I was missing out on.

I can compare it to my relationship with my husband. Before we started dating, he knew who I was but I didn't know him. I didn't know what I was missing because I didn't even know him yet. When we were first dating, our relationship was not real deep. We were just getting to know each other, right? Along with the fresh and newness of the relationship there were no arguments, no struggles, no trials. We both had to make changes in our lives as we committed to each other. There were periods of adjustment. As our love grew, the trials and attacks started. It took a while for us to get to know each others hearts, each others love language, etc. We had to overcome obstacles and with each time we did, our love and trust grew stronger for each other. We learned how to work through things, we learned how to comfort each other, we have learned how to love each other. Has it always been easy? No. Have our disagreements stopped? No. But we don't have as many as we used to. Our love is stronger and we honor each other.

Like my relationship with my husband, my relationship with the Lord is similar. He knew me before I knew Him. He first loved me. I knew He was there, but I didn't have a relationship with Him. When our relationship was knew, it wasn't very deep. As my relationship with God started to grow, the trials and attacks started. I had to get through those trials but God was there with me. As He walked with me and even held or carried me through some trials, my faith grew. My trust in the Lord grew stronger. As I've desired to live my life Christ-centered, I've made changes. I am continuing to make changes. I don't have it all together. The more I grow in my relationship with God, the more I see the things I don't like about myself.

As I open myself up to God and ask for Him to clean my heart, mold my character, and refine me it becomes painful at times. As I've decided to be obedient to Him, I've had to let go of other things. Some easy and some not. As I've put myself on "The Potter's Wheel" in some ways my life has become even more difficult. The thing is that I welcome the challenges. I am at peace. Why? Because I have a strong sense and believe in God's plan for me. I trust Him. As I learn His voice through His Word I don't struggle with the same things I used to. New stuff comes up though! It does get easier to know His voice. It's calming.

Same with my husband. I can recognize his voice. A few weeks ago I didn't know he was coming up to church. I was in a meeting when I heard his voice. I hopped out of my chair, opened the door and there he was, just down the hall with flowers and balloons in hand. He surprised me and made my day! :) When I'm having a bad day, sometimes I'll call him just to hear his voice. I have a few voicemails that he's left me over the years (yes, one is 2 1/2 years old!). I keep saving them. In one of them he's singing to me. He threatens to delete it whenever I let him hear it. (Isn't that right honey?) In all seriousness, I know my husband's voice, I know his laugh, I even know his walk.

The longer I walk with God, the more I know Him. Some things are easier and some are even more difficult. Like any relationship there are ups and downs. Definately more ups than downs. The thing is I could not imagine my life without my husband or without the Lord. No matter how hard either road has been, I wouldn't trade a moment for anything. If you've read my testimony (the link is under my blog header) you know that our road has not been easy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Why? Because I have hope!

I'll end with this verse Psalm 25:5 Lead me by your truth and teach me, for you are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in you.

I don't know if that really answers the question, but it's what came to mind. 

1 comment:

Please Leave a Comment