Welcome to our journey. The purpose of my blog is not only to journal our life experience, but also to share what God is doing in our lives. I do not claim to be an expert in parenting, marriage, or even the Bible. But I do have a heart to share my experiences and the true love that God has for each and every one of us. You can read our testimony by clicking on the top of the page. And if you'd like to know about the Homeless Ministry my husband started, you can click on the Homeless tab. I hope you will comment freely on my posts and in my community.



Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Lent

Lent is upon us. I can't believe it's already that time. That means spring is near and Easter will be here before we know it. Lent is the 40 days leading up to Easter. (Actually 46...but we don't count the Sundays) It's starts on Ash Wednesday, which is tomorrow, February 25. You receive a mark on the forehead that represents a call to repentance and that you were made from dust and will return to dust. Lent is a call to prayer and fasting. The 40 days represent the 40 days that Jesus spent in the desert where he was tempted over and over again by satan. This is a time of self-denial in preparation for Holy Week. I've really praying and asking God what He wants me to give up. As my faith grows I would like for my self-denial to grow as well. To me it also teaches discipline. Something I really want to be better at.

Now...I'm going to post what I'm giving up for Lent so that I can't go back on it. It will be right here in black and white. So, I guess in a sense, you can hold me accountable. :) This Lent I will be giving up all sweets (donuts, cupcakes, cookies, candy, etc). And working at a church where people are always bringing the staff "goodies" and then the fact that there are always donuts around...surely there's no lack of temptation! Oh and then walking by numerous candy dishes doesn't make it easy either. Oh well...it's all about self-denial. Jesus did way more than that for me when He have up His life for me! And you!

So, there you have it! I struggle with telling you about what I'm giving up because biblically we are told to fast in secret. But since this is my journal, although a public journal, I feel the need to write it down. So be it!

I pray the Lord reveals many things to each of us throughout this season. Where at the end, on Easter Sunday, we will celebrate victory. The victory of Christ being raised from the dead.

Bless you!
Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Comment