Welcome to our journey. The purpose of my blog is not only to journal our life experience, but also to share what God is doing in our lives. I do not claim to be an expert in parenting, marriage, or even the Bible. But I do have a heart to share my experiences and the true love that God has for each and every one of us. You can read our testimony by clicking on the top of the page. And if you'd like to know about the Homeless Ministry my husband started, you can click on the Homeless tab. I hope you will comment freely on my posts and in my community.



Friday, September 11, 2009

The Dash

Since today is September 11, I thought this poem might be fitting. It's called "The Dash". Because we never know when our last day might come. And because we don't know that it's so important how we live our life today. Yesterday is the past and you can't change it. Tomorrow is not here yet and we don't know if it will come. That's why today is so important. It's the present. It's a gift. With that in mind, what do you want to be remembered for?
The Dash Poem
by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood to speak
At the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end.
He noted that first came the date of her birth
And spoke of the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.
For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.
So think about this long and hard;
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.
So when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?
© 1996 Linda Ellis
I've said this many times...I wish we would have a life celebration before we die...like our funeral. Then I realized that we can have those celebrations anytime, but how cool that if on your birthday, people would tell you all the things they will say about you at your funeral?
I am going to put this on FB and encourage people to ask their friends and family to respond and tell them what they might say at their funeral. Is that weird?
If you are willing would you leave a comment:
  • if you know me, what one thing would you say about me - I'll take the bad with the good. :)
  • if people were at your funeral, what do you think they would say about you?
  • or what would you like to change so that people won't say "that" about you.
If you'd like your comment to be private, just note that and I won't publish it.
The funny thing is that people for the most part don't talk about the negatives things at a funeral. They make joke about some things, but usually they just talk about the good things. That's great. But I am one who wonders what else they're thinking? I wonder what other perceptions they might have.
For instance, one might say that I'm:
very opinionated - even dogmatic
strong headed
unbending
a perfectionist - not always a good thing
my house isn't always neat & tidy
competitive
too emotional
too busy
uncaring
I think I'm always right (even though I am :) lol)
etc...
Some could be true, some might not be. Some are true, but only in stressful situations. Others are not true at all. They're just perceptions. So, what can I do to remove those perceptions that are unbecoming and not Jesus like? Do you know what I mean? What I'm trying to say is that I want to be remembered for the good things. I want to be remembered as someone who loves the Lord, my family, my friends and especially those that are "unloveable" by many standards. I don't mean that I want to be perfect or perceived as someone who's perfect. I just want to reflect the love of Jesus. That's all. It can be seen by what I say and what I do. It can be seen by the way I treat others. It's very easy to love someone who's good to you and loves you back. It can be challenging and very difficult to love someone who has wronged you or someone else. Jesus calls us to love our enemies and the unloveable. Wow!
Ok, so leave a comment if you will. It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself.
Another thing...today my husband and others are filming a documentary on the homeless people in Mpls/St. Paul. Breakthrough Ministries (started by my husband) is a non-profit organization that has a goal to end homelessness one person at a time. If you've read my testimony you'll see why this truly is our calling. Please pray for Dave, Tim and the others that are involved in filming this documentary. They will start at 3 pm today and film throughout the night until 9 am tomorrow morning. Pray that the people they encounter will see the love of God more than anything. Pray that those that watch this film will have a broken heart for these people as God does. They are lost and hurting and many of them have no hope!
Thanks and God bless!
Christine

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. I love this poem. I have read through quite a few of your posts this evening. Your blog is truly a blessing. May God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The poem is beautiful. Isn't it true about funerals? I would love to have celebrations of life before death. And I agree with Tricia, your blog is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally enjoying your blog! I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new follower of this blog and am amazed at how you reveal so much of your heart in this blog. I would know because I am your husband. There isn't enough space here to say all of the awesome things I would say at your funeral. I would say that your heart (often times not revealed until later like in this blog) was beatiful. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the comments. I love to share just how awesome Jesus is and it is my desire to reflect that in my blog. I am blessed!

    Christine

    p.s. I love you too honey!

    ReplyDelete

Please Leave a Comment