Welcome to our journey. The purpose of my blog is not only to journal our life experience, but also to share what God is doing in our lives. I do not claim to be an expert in parenting, marriage, or even the Bible. But I do have a heart to share my experiences and the true love that God has for each and every one of us. You can read our testimony by clicking on the top of the page. And if you'd like to know about the Homeless Ministry my husband started, you can click on the Homeless tab. I hope you will comment freely on my posts and in my community.

Thursday, April 22, 2010

While I wait...

...I will pray.  TMI moment here.....A few weeks ago I found a lump in my left breast.  I waited about 3 weeks until I actually called to make an appointment to go in to the doctor.  What was I waiting for?  Well, for it to go away of course!  Or maybe I was just too busy.  I didn't tell anyone about our finding until my birthday when I was having a pedicure with my mom.  She, of course, was upset that I hadn't called and all but dialed the doctor for me right then and there.  They were closed so I promised to call first thing in the morning.  I was able to get in the next day.  My hubby went with me.  The nurse practitioner couldn't find anything abnormal.  But being that I'm now passed the age of 40, we scheduled a mamogram anyways for the next morning.  (Today)

I didn't have my hubby go with me since it was just going to be routine.  If you have not had a mamogram yet, it's not that bad.  It really wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.  After I had it done, the doctor looked the film over.  It was all clear.  Since I had also been experiencing periodic sharp shooting pain in the same area that I thought I found a lump, they decided to look further.  So, I had an ultrasound on the left side.  At first the tech didn't find anything.  She left to consult with the doctor and came back to look further.  When I saw a black area and saw her starting to make marks and measurements, I have to admit I began to worry a smidge.  She said she thought she found a nodule and that the doctor would be back to look and explain.  OK!?!?  WHAT?!  The doctor came back, yep, he found 2 of them.  He said I have cysts and those are fine, but he found 2 nodules, solid masses.  He said that chances are they're benign, but I needed a biopsy.  They just happened to have an opening for this afternoon.  While the tech was explaining about the biopsy, the doctor came back and said he saw something on the right side of the mamogram and that he needed 2 more photos.

At this point, I was getting a little worried.  I went to the bathroom and collected my thoughts.  When I went in to have the second sets of pictures taken, the tech was so sweet and she said "it looks like you're going to spend the afternoon with us."  I lost it.  As she said to me "oh honey, you were blind sided."  That is indeed how I felt.  I really thought I was going to come in and then go right home with an all clear.  After she took the pics she said she was going to show them to the doctor and then come back.  She came back about 10 minutes later and said he wanted an ultrasound of the right side.  So, back out to the waiting room I went.  Sitting there...thinking...wondering...thinking...crying...scared...not sure if I should call someone now or wait...until I finally decided to call my hubby.  At which point I immediately started crying again. 

I thought the nurse called me so I told hubby I had to go.  Then I realized she didn't call me so I called him back.  He was on his way to be with me.  Finally, I got called to have the ultrasound.  The tech couldn't find anything this time.  Strange!  It was lunch time by now (more than 2 hours I had been there) and the doctor was gone, so I'd have to wait until I came back for the biopsy for him to do another ultrasound.  Dave and I went to lunch and then we went back.  The doctor didn't find anything on the right side.  So, on with the needle biopsy.  That wasn't as bad as I had imagined it would be either.  It wasn't my idea of fun, but I'm glad to have it over with.  They were able to get several samples of both (or maybe it's the same one) masses with one incision.

Now I wait.  The nurse said that it a good possibility the results will come in tomorrow afternoon.  She promised to check before she leaves so I don't have to wait the entire weekend.  While I wait...I will pray.

Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving.

Have you done a self exam lately?  Are you putting your mamogram off? 


  1. I am praying for you! I hope everything comes back ok. I do check myself but honestly I need to learn more about it because I really don't know what I am looking for. What is the age someone should get their first mamogram?

    Thank you for sharing and again I am praying for you!

  2. I'll be praying for you too!
    And yes, I've been putting it off...

  3. You've had quite a day! I will be praying for peace as you await the results.

  4. I hope everything comes back fine!

  5. Thank you for your sweet comments and prayers. I really covet them.

    Mary...age 40 is when you should have your first mamogram...unless there's other reason...then have one sooner.

    Don't put it off...it's not that bad.

  6. My thoughts and prayers are all over you Christine. What a frightening experience. I went through a similar experience last year. I hadn't had any testing done in a while because I didn't have insurance. I recieved a card in the mail about a womens program called SAGE. They will provide free care physicals, and mammos etc. to women who don't have insurance, or can't afford the copays. Its worth calling for free care SAGE 1-888-643-2584

  7. praising for your results with you

  8. Prayers for you.....and you prompted me to call my doctor- long overdue!

    I do hope everything comes back fine.

  9. just want you to know i am still praying. waiting on a update


Please Leave a Comment