Welcome to our journey. The purpose of my blog is not only to journal our life experience, but also to share what God is doing in our lives. I do not claim to be an expert in parenting, marriage, or even the Bible. But I do have a heart to share my experiences and the true love that God has for each and every one of us. You can read our testimony by clicking on the top of the page. And if you'd like to know about the Homeless Ministry my husband started, you can click on the Homeless tab. I hope you will comment freely on my posts and in my community.



Saturday, June 5, 2010

Perfection

There are times when I think I have rid myself of the need for perfection. Then there are times when the need for perfection overcomes me. I was just thinking about this yesterday. We were cleaning the house yesterday and I was trying really hard not to go over the things my kids were doing to make them "perfect". I've actually come along way in this area because years ago I would've gone over everything again. When I would have them fold towels or clothes, I would do them over again. Finally I decided that I would just let them towels be and if the clothing item isn't *ahem* mine or something that really shouldn't be wrinkled too badly, I leave it.

My 7 year old daughter LOVES to wash windows. She takes great pride in her work. It's really cute. :) And although she doesn't do a "great" job, she does pretty good. Whenever I'm tempted to fix her work, I have to think of how that would make her feel. It would crush her heart.

Of course, I have many other issues with perfection but those are what I was thinking of yesterday. And then today my devotion was about perfection. Hmmm....here's what it said. This is taken from "Jesus Calling" by Sarah Young. A great devotional book by the way.

Remember that you live in a fallen world: an abnormal world tainted by sin. Much frustration and failure result from your seeking perfection in this life. There is nothing perfect in this world except Me. That is why closeness to Me satisfies deep yearnings and fills you with Joy.

I have planted longing for perfection in every human heart. This is a good desire, which I alone can fulfill. But most people seek this fulfillment in other people and earthly pleasures or achievements. Thus they create idols, before which they bow down. I will have no other gods before Me! Make Me the deepest desire of your heart. Let Me fulfill your yearning for perfection.

Psalm 37:4 Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you your heart’s desires.

Yes, sometimes I think that the need for a perfectly clean house is an idol. If I'm spending my time cleaning instead of with God or with my family, it's an idol. There's balance. I just need to find it. :)  And through God I can. Lord, help me to not seek perfection from my family, my friends or anyone else.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Comment