Welcome to our journey. The purpose of my blog is not only to journal our life experience, but also to share what God is doing in our lives. I do not claim to be an expert in parenting, marriage, or even the Bible. But I do have a heart to share my experiences and the true love that God has for each and every one of us. You can read our testimony by clicking on the top of the page. And if you'd like to know about the Homeless Ministry my husband started, you can click on the Homeless tab. I hope you will comment freely on my posts and in my community.



Thursday, July 26, 2012

To India I go!

If you know me, you may be saying "WHAT? No way?!" after you read the title of my post. Most people know that I've always said "I will never go on a mission trip, much less one out of this country!" Although about 2 years ago I was at a conference and listening to Paul Yadao and Leif Hetland talking about the pain and suffering among the nations. During that time I literally stood up in my chair after hearing the Lord tell me that I was going to India. I couldn't believe what I was saying but the tears were rolling down my face and I knew in my heart that one day it would happen. Since that day there have been trips that have come and gone and I never felt it was my time. That is...until now.

I was sitting at my desk about a month ago when another staff person approached me about this trip. She was telling me that they'll be doing a Women's Retreat similar to the one we just had. Swati, who lives in India, came and spoke at our retreat last May. I immediately felt my heart racing. I listened and had a huge smile. I wasn't sure though so I sent out an email to others asking if they would be interested in attending this trip and planning the retreat. I did talk a little about it because I was thinking how great that Dave and I could go on this trip together. He is the one who has always wanted to go to India. This trip even has two ministry paths and the other one would've been amazing for him. But he wasn't feeling like he was supposed to go. He told me that I could go without him.

Well, the application deadline came and went. I just decided that it probably wasn't my time. The financial commitment is $3000 and I just didn't feel as though I could raise that kind of money. A few days ago I started to think about it again, but like I said, the deadline already passed. I just said "Lord, if it's your will that I go, someone will bring it up to me." Well, the next day I received an email asking if I would be at church and if I had a few minutes to talk about India. WHAT?! Ok...so I went in and talked. She asked for an answer by Thursday.

That night after talking with others and my husband it seemed as though I was suppose to go. This morning when I woke up I still wanted one more confirmation. I was reading one of my Potter's Wheel books called "Soul Control". I never expected what I would read today. The second paragraph poses this question "Have you ever been faced with a decision and said "I just wish I knew if this was God? or "I wish the Lord would come in a burning bush and tell me the right thing to do?" I about fell off my chair! Really? I couldn't read fast enough. What is the key to finding out if this is the right decision? Basically, the way is through scripture. Well, duh! No but seriously, I just didn't think of it that way in this decision. I mean...where in scripture would it say that going on a mission trip is not a good idea? But rather the answer would be in another form of what the scripture would be speaking directly to me. I was in a hurry to get to work so figured it would need to wait.

As soon as I got in to work I picked up my spare Bible. I took it off the shelf and said "O.K. Lord. I don't know where to go here and I just need to hear You. So, I opened it up to where I had a piece of paper in there. It was Ecclesiastes 3 and 4. I read through chapter 3. I've read it many times. Yes, it applied to me and my life. A Time for Everything. For everything there is a season. But it just didn't give me the answer. Then I decided to read chapter 4. There it was...Ecclesiastes  4:1 Again, I observed all the oppression that takes place under the sun. I saw the tears of the oppressed, with no one to comfort them. The oppressors have great power, and their victims are helpless. 

My heart started pounding and I knew I had my answer. I was in tears as I thought about all the oppression in India. The women and children are treated in horrible ways. Unimaginable ways. I am going to bring love and comfort to them.

Thank you God for being patient with me. Thank you for answering me over and over again. Thank you for loving me. And to those of you who've loved and supported me through my tears and this decision. Thank you for being patient with me. And especially to my wonderful husband....you are amazing!

Part 2 will be posted tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please Leave a Comment