Welcome to our journey. The purpose of my blog is not only to journal our life experience, but also to share what God is doing in our lives. I do not claim to be an expert in parenting, marriage, or even the Bible. But I do have a heart to share my experiences and the true love that God has for each and every one of us. You can read our testimony by clicking on the top of the page. And if you'd like to know about the Homeless Ministry my husband started, you can click on the Homeless tab. I hope you will comment freely on my posts and in my community.



Monday, January 30, 2012

Stolen

Anyone who knows me probably knows about my love of photography. This has been the case since I was in high school. I always had a camera with me. This has never changed. Over the years, I had always wanted a camera that would take nice pictures, especially at a distance and action ones since my kids are all in sports. So, I began saving. I would get gift cards for birthdays and holidays and I saved them for a few years actually. Finally, I had enough money to get a nice camera. We waited for the one I wanted to go on sale and off we were. It took me a few months to learn how to use it but I loved it. It even took great video! Perfect!

The worst thing for me was getting my photos uploaded. The high resolution and video took a long time to upload. I had set my camera at the computer desk for upload. Two days later I'm getting ready to leave for one of Kenzie's cheer comps and I can't find my camera. Everyone says it was at the computer desk. My kids all know that they are not allowed to use my camera without asking. The camera is nowhere to be found.

Dave puts two and two together and realizes that one of our kids had a new friend over and could it be that she took it? After a talk with our daughter it seems that this friend was admiring the camera and asking about it. She actually was sitting at the computer desk by herself right before she left. My camera is gone. I was actually so upset I was in tears.

Unfortunately this girl denies taking it and when asked about it she asked "what camera? what does it look like?" Very sad. Typing about this makes me sick. We did file a police report but little can be done.

Fast forward to yesterday. Our sermon was on Generosity. The scripture we references was Matthew 6:19-21 “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal. Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be."


What spoke to me was that my camera was my treasure. Maybe too much of a treasure. I have had a hard time reconciling this in my mind since I don't see what is so bad about loving to take pictures. But it was my love for my camera that was the problem, not the love of taking pictures. This is the problem with storing up treasures here on earth. Just as this scripture says, "thieves break in and steal". Even people you welcome into your home. This was a lesson for our daughter but also for me. A lesson for her on what kind of friends she's choosing and the importance of knowing some one's character. The lesson for me - knowing my heart and my character.
 
My treasure needs to be focused on it's eternal value. While I'm sad about my camera being gone, I am blessed because both of our parents have borrowed us their cameras. While I was reminded at the last competition of why I loved MY camera...I was also reminded why I love our PARENTS! We are blessed. We have friends and family who we love. And we have a God who loves us enough that He gave us His Word to show us the way.
 
Lord, search my heart. Where am I valuing treasures here more than heavenly treasures? Show me.
 
Where is your heart? And as our pastor asked us yesterday...what are you putting in your cart?
 

1 comment:

  1. Powerful insight! I am delighted when I get to see how God is working on our hearts. I know how much that camera meant to you - But stories like this help me see how much more God means to you. I pray that He reveals this to me as we go forward in the present.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please Leave a Comment